Why is gay marriage prohibited in most of the U.S.A.? In spite of elected officials not legalizing same sex marriage, Human Rights Campaign (HRC) mentions that gay and lesbian couples want the same rights as married couples and more than half or majority of Americans feel that they should have a legal agreement that gives them those rights. (History of State Constitutional Marriage Bans, 2011-2013). Many elected officials are against same sex marriage whereas the president of the United States, Mr. Barack Obama, is the first U.S. president to support same sex marriage. Traditionally, same sex marriage is wrong and morally it is wrong as well. However, we can say that there are a lot of American traditions that are being broken and tha...
... middle of paper ...
...ter. Gale. City Colleges Of Chicago. 12 Oct. 2013
Dinno, Alexis, and Chelsea Whitney. "Same Sex Marriage And The Perceived Assault On Opposite Sex Marriage." Plos ONE 8.6 (2013): 1-8. Academic Search Premier. Web. 12 Oct. 2013.
Hallett, Stephanie. "History Of Gay Marriage In The United States (INFOGRAPHIC)." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 15 July 2013. Web. 12 Oct. 2013.
"History of State Constitutional Marriage Bans." Human Rights Campaign. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Oct. 2013.
"KidsHealth." Sexual Orientation. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Oct. 2013.
Rich Mkhondo. "Gay Families Are the Same as Traditional Families." Opposing Viewpoints: Gay Parenting. Ed. Beth Rosenthal. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2013. Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center. Gale. City Colleges Of Chicago. 12 Oct. 2013
"Traditional Marriage?" Faith in America. Faith in America, n.d. Web. 12 Oct. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... The choice of marriage should not be gender specific. Based on the legal definition of marriage, it is an individual’s choice to be united and enjoy the rights and privileges of such union under the law. According to the state of California’s definition of marriage, “marriage is a personal relation arising out of a civil contract between two persons…” Based on the State of California’s definition of marriage, there is no mention that the two person’s need to be of opposite sex. By following the letter of the law, same sex couples can marry.... [tags: Homosexuality, Same-sex marriage, LGBT, Gay]
1031 words (2.9 pages)
- Are gay marriages in Asia viewed with the same perspective as in the American context. The history of gay marriage is short but not liked as much. From the history of gay marriages there are an estimated number of 250 million people who live in places which accept gay marriage; this is about 4% of world’s population. In the 2nd century in Rome, men of the same age were legally allowed to marry where they were considered to be pagans and the marriages were conducted by the Mother Goddess (Celeste 2010).... [tags: Sexual Issues, argumentative, persuasive]
849 words (2.4 pages)
- Critique on Against Gay Marriage Is marriage strictly between male and female, or should it also be open for homosexuals. William Bennett, a well known politician believes in the traditional marriage, being between a male and female. His thesis reads “We are engaged in a debate which, in a less confused time, would be considered pointless and even oxymoronic: the question of the same-sex marriage” (409). Not only is this statement bias, but other elements of his work held problems. The way his case was defended was ineffective to his case.... [tags: Homosexuality, Same-sex marriage, Marriage]
1068 words (3.1 pages)
- ... “Revenue from gay marriage comes from marriage licenses, higher income taxes, and decreases in costs for state benefit programs” (Perry). Legalizing gay marriage would bring in $20 million - $40 million, per year in taxes. Gays and lesbians would not gain anything of same-sex Bringas 2 marriage anyways. They fight for same-sex marriage because it would ensure them economic security. Basically, gay marriage is good for the economy because it increases government revenue and helps create jobs.... [tags: equality, gays, parents]
868 words (2.5 pages)
- In an article titled, “I've Been Divorced Four Times, But Homosexuals Are the Ones Destroying Marriage,” published in February of 2014, blogger Matt Walsh intends to move anyone who advocates for “traditional marriage” to focus their attention on preventing divorce instead of opposing gay marriage. The title is mocking the hypocrisy of some “traditional marriage” advocates who are serial divorcee supposedly doing everything they can to preserve the sanctity of marriage. The author believes in what is commonly called “traditional marriage,” though the term is considered a historically misleading term by some.... [tags: traditional marriage, church]
862 words (2.5 pages)
- According to the United States Constitution, as interpreted by the United States Supreme Court, marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman (“The Constitution of the United States”). It is one of the few pleasures most humans have a chance to experience. Getting married is generally depicted as a time of celebration and joyfulness surrounded by love ones and the person with whom one wants to spend the rest of his or her life. Restricting who marries whom threatens this rite-of-passage.... [tags: Marriage, Same-sex marriage, Homosexuality]
1307 words (3.7 pages)
- Marriage is not about religion because atheists marry; it is not about procreation because the infertile marry; and it is not about finance for it can weave poverty. What it is about is love. For centuries, the battle for gay rights has waged, and will continue to do so until the rights are granted to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people to help secure equality for all. “…LGBT people must lead this effort, as so many of [them] are. Their knowledge and experiences are invaluable and their courage inspirational” (Clinton 4).... [tags: gay rights, love, lgbt community]
960 words (2.7 pages)
- Then the lord god created man from the dust of the ground (Genesis 2:& New Translated Version). Then the lord God said “It is not good for me to be alone, I will make him a helper who will be good for him (Gene: 2:18). So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep, he then took out one of the man’s ribs and made a woman. (Gene: 2:24). This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, united as one (Genesis: 2:24). God blessed them and said “be fruitful and multiple.” These are the words of the bible.... [tags: morals, religion, marriage, Bible, beliefs]
965 words (2.8 pages)
- Marriage. A legally, religiously, or socially sanctioned union of persons who commit to one another, forming a familial and economic bond. Same-sex marriages included. Same-sex marriage is one of the most controversial topics of our day and age. As of July 1st, 2013, 55-40% of Americans believe that same-sex marriages should be recognized by law as valid. That’s the most support there has ever been in our country. We shouldn’t be depriving gay and lesbian couples of the human right of equality. It has been proven that legalizing same-sex marriage does amazing acts for not just individuals, but our country as a whole.... [tags: marriage, law, equality, society]
676 words (1.9 pages)
- Same-sex Marriage Should be Legal "I do." These two simple words have the power change lives in an instant. For most people, the phrase conjures up images of a man and a woman being joined in marriage. But for gays and lesbians, having the chance to legally say "I do" is a far-off dream, not a reality. In many European countries, marriages between same-sex couples are federally recognized, but unions of American homosexuals still go unrecognized by the United States government. Same-sex marriages deserve to be legalized in this country.... [tags: Gay Lesbian Issues]
1002 words (2.9 pages)